Golden beets are so beautiful and they match perfectly with salty prosciutto and a dollop of sweet ricotta in this room-temperature main dish.
- 2 med golden beets
- 1 cup farro
- 2 tbsp prosecco or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot, sliced
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 slices prosciutto, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove beets stems, rinse to remove any dirt and wrap tightly in tin foil. Bake for 35-45 minutes until tender. Carefully open foil and allow to cool to room temp. Rub off skins with your hands. Dice into bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook farro as directed on package. Remove from heat.
Make the vinaigrette:
- Combine the vinegar, Dijon and shallot in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil until well combined, season with salt and pepper.
Make the Honey-Dill Ricotta
- Combine ricotta, honey and dill in a small bowl. Season very lightly with a pinch of salt.
Assemble the dish
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the warm farro with the vinaigrette and toss well. Add the beets and prosciutto, toss again. Sprinkle with walnuts and chives.
- Serve each portion with a dollop of the Honey-Dill Ricotta in the middle.
I can’t resist golden beets when I see them at the market. I usually roast them as soon as I get home and then they are ready to use when I need them. You can certainly use red beets but know the color will rub off on the farro a little.
The farro takes about 20 minutes to cook so by the time your beets are done, the farro is at room temp. Don’t mix the vinaigrette in while the farro is hot or it won’t absorb the flavor as well. This dish is meant to be served at room temperature.
Salty and chewy prosciutto is a perfect balance with smooth, earthy beets. Don’t over do the ricotta…just a little with every other bite or so.
The walnut crunch really finished it nicely.This would be a good time for a bottle of rose’!
Serving: 0.75cup | Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 545mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 218IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!