Go vegetarian on Taco Tuesday with a super easy grilled squash and black bean taco!
Beat the Meat
Black beans seasoned with cumin, chili powder and lime are the base for this vegetarian squash taco. It’s as easy as it sounds. Rinse and drain a can of black beans, put in saucepan, add seasonings and heat just to hot. I find if you cook them more than a few minutes they dry out.
Cut the summer squash into thick lengthwise slices. The goal is to get a sear on them before they cook to mush. You can just season with salt and pepper, but I love Greek seasoning on summer squash. If you’ve never tried Greek seasoning, this squash taco recipe is a good reason to buy some and fall in love. It goes on literally everything.
No Summer Squash? No Problem
Feel free to substitute zucchini for the summer squash in this recipe. Just as good.
Fixin the Fixins
I encourage you to made homemade salsa for your squash tacos. It’s summer after all, not like it will go to waste. Finely dice up ripe tomatoes, white or green onions and squeeze on some lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped cilantro. Voila! You just made salsa! Add a little hot pepper to jazz it up if you dare.
Too lazy to make salsa? Use store bought. Or, just chop up some tomato. Close enough.
If you don’t love sour cream, use plain Greek yogurt. Just as good, maybe better.
- cooking spray
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced lengthwise into thick slabs
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning, optional
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 yellow corn taco shells
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat oven to warm (170°). Put 6 taco shells on a piece of foil or shallow baking dish and place in oven while preparing taco filling.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, spray well with cooking spray. While pan is heating, season squash slices well with salt and pepper, and Greek seasoning if using. Lay squash in hot pan and allow to sear about 4 minutes before turning. Re-spray the pan as you flip each piece over and sear for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put black beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin and chili powder. Stir occasionally. Once hot, squeeze juice of 1/2 of a lime in and stir. Turn off heat.
- It is easiest to bring everything to the table and let your dinner guests build their own. I like to put a squeeze of sour cream on the bottom of my taco shell, then the black beans, then squash. Finish with cheese, salsa, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
Hungry For More?
Try my Roasted Sweet Potato Fiesta Bowl. If you love tacos and nachos, you’ll love this.